Sneffels Traverse Ski Race February 12, 2017
Looking for something new to do to challenge yourself in the San Juans this winter? On February 12, 2017, the team at the San Juan Hut Systems is putting on a back country ski race! The race starts on the east side of the Dallas Trail (near Ouray) and ends on County Road 9 (west of Ridgway).
Though the following stats may change based on conditions, here is what you can expect to conquer during the race:
- 25 miles of skiing
- 5,540 feet of elevation gain
- 5,550 feet of elevation loss
There are cut-off times for racers which will be determined closer to race day based on conditions. The maximum time allowed to finish the race will be approximately 10.5 hours.
Equipment you’ll need includes the following: helmet, avalanche beacon, shovel, and probe. These items are required and need to be presented at the pre-race meeting. Other gear requirements will be announced at the pre-race meeting the evening before the race. Skis with metal edges are recommended.
Important dates, times and locations:
- Saturday, February 11, 2017 5:30 pm at Ridgway Elementary School (1115 Clinton Ave) – Pre-race meeting
- Sunday, February 12, 2017 6:30 am (time may vary due to conditions) on the east side of Dallas Trail – Race Day!!!
- There is an $80.00 entrance fee (what’s included is listed below). This fee helps cover the cost of the permits, insurance, and logistics for the race!
- Visit this link: http://sanjuanhuts.com/why-san-juan-huts/blog/143-sneffels-traverse-2017 and scroll to the bottom of the page, where you will find a “Register for Sneffels Traverse Race” link.
- Pasta dinner on Saturday, February 11 (Gluten free available)
- A place to sleep on Saturday, February 11
- Race day breakfast on Sunday, February 12
- Snacks and sports drinks at the three hits you’ll pass along the way
- Complimentary certificate for two people at any of our five ski huts ($60.00 value
- Raffle ticket for one six-night mountain bike hut trip ($895.00 value) and other items
Consider staying at the Box Canyon Lodge and Hot Springs in Ouray! Your rate would include the use of our hot springs (your muscles will thank you) and a breakfast at the Roast and Toast in town.
Important phone numbers:
- San Juan Hut Crew: 970-626-3033
- Box Canyon Lodge and Hot Springs: 970-325-0223